Menu

Corndog Stick Sticks it to French Bulldog

Jean-Pierre

Many people have wondered what’s inside a corn dog. Jean Pierre’s curiosity on the topic led his owner Denise Uphus to a more serious question: what’s inside my bulldog?

“He first developed a lump on his side and the veterinarian thought it was a bee sting,” said Denise Uphus of Ontario, Calif. “A couple of days later it had nearly tripled in size, so the veterinarian drained it and put him on antibiotics. This continued for several weeks, but things didn’t get better. About two months after we had first noticed the lump, the veterinarian performed surgery and found a corndog stick. The stick had slowly worked its way through Jean Pierre’s stomach lining and was pressing on his body cavity trying to find a way out.”

Uphus’ claim for Jean Pierre’s swallowed stick was one of more than ——– claims received in the month of November by Veterinary Pet Insurance, the nation’s oldest and largest provider of pet health insurance. Jean Pierre’s accident was considered along with other uncommon claims submitted in November and selected by VPI as the most unusual of the bunch.

“At first we didn’t know it was a corndog stick, and I was baffled,” said Denise. “A couple of days later, I gave my one and a half-year-old daughter a corndog and it all clicked. She likes to feed the dog and she must have given him some of her corndog, including the stick, which he swallowed whole. You really can’t turn your back on them – kids or pets.”

 

Nationwide

Nationwide® pet insurance

Take care of them when it matters most.

Start Your Research