Menu

Dog Ingests Toxic Bra Inserts and Lives to Bark About It

Crawford Aug 2008

Crawford’s poisoning wasn’t a case of raw food, but rather bra food. The two-year-old Brittany spaniel is officially cutting underwear out of his diet after a snack of gel inserts from his owner’s bra sent him to the veterinarian’s office with some uncomfortable gastrointestinal issues.

“I was running late for work and changing and I didn’t shut the drawer all the way,” said Tara Claxton of Camp Hill, Pa. “When I got home from work, half the bra was gone. The veterinarian said there was no blockage, but that the gel from the pads may have been mildly toxic. He put Crawford on a special diet and after a few weeks all of the bra passed and his appetite returned. Needless to say, all my bras are tucked away in a drawer and won’t be left out again.”

Claxton’s claim was one of more than 85,000 claims received in the month of August by Veterinary Pet Insurance, the nation’s oldest and largest provider of pet health insurance. Her dog’s uncommon incident was considered along with other abnormal claims submitted in August and selected by VPI as the most unusual of the bunch.

As the most unusual claim submitted in August, Claxton’s claim will be placed in the running for VPI’s first Hambone Award®. Each month, VPI will nominate a claim and in July 2009 ask the public to vote for the most unusual claim of the year. The Hambone Award® is named in honor of a VPI-insured dog that got stuck in a refrigerator and ate an entire Thanksgiving ham while waiting for someone to find him. The dog was eventually found, with a licked-clean ham bone and a mild case of hypothermia.

 

Nationwide

Nationwide® pet insurance

Take care of them when it matters most.

Start Your Research