Menu

Vote Now for the 2016 Hambone award

UPDATE: Thank you for voting for the 2016 Hambone Award! The winner will be announced shortly. 

After reviewing nearly 1.5 million pet insurance claims received over the past year, Nationwide has nominated 11 worthy candidates for the 2016 Hambone Award. Each year, the nation’s first and largest provider of pet health insurance, searches through its database of more than 575,000 insured pets to honor the most “Unusual Claim of the Year.” The winner will be decided by a public vote Sept. 20 – Oct. 3 at www.HamboneAward.com.

In addition, the veterinary hospital that treated this year’s Hambone Award winner will receive a $10,000 Nationwide-funded award through the Veterinary Care Foundation to treat pets whose owners could not otherwise afford treatment.

Collage

Hambone Award Nominees:

  • Freckles the Cocker Spaniel (Brooklyn, N.Y.). Freckles’ eager palate nearly led to her demise when she passed out from oxygen deprivation after getting her head stuck in a potato chip bag.
  • Stark the American short haired cat (Naples, Fla.). Named after the famous super hero, Stark took his “Iron Man” moniker too literally when he attempted to fly off his cat tree and ended up hanging by his tail from a set of window blinds.
  • Oso the Blue Heeler mix (La Mesa, Calif.). Oso is an incredibly athletic dog with a long list of active hobbies including surfing and hiking. However, one of Oso’s field trips took a terrible turn when he misjudged a leap and crash head first into a cement barrier, shattering his snout.
  • Rocky the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel (Sacramento, Calif.). Rocky enjoys taking long naps on the family couch, but one day his comfort turned into a calamity when he slipped between the couch cushions while asleep and dislocated both of his hips trying to get out.
  • Rosie the Sphynx cat (Bee Cave, TX). Rosie is quite the rebel, but one day her mouser mischief nearly led to her demise after she snuck inside a reclining chair and was crushed upon its close.
  • Mitten the cat and Sasha the Poodle (Port Washington, N.Y.). A cold day turned terrifying when Sasha, Mitten, and the entire family suffered severe carbon monoxide poisoning after a faulty detector failed to alert them of a leak in their house.
  • Thunder the Giant Schnauzer (Skillman, N.J.). Thunder’s favorite household hobby involves stealing his family members’ belongings and parading them around the house. However, one day his shenanigans left him breathless after he snatched up an asthma inhaler and ingested its contents.
  • Myles the Great Dane (Poughkeepsie, N.Y.). Myles’ playtime activities have been marred by his odd obsession with eating random items of clothing, which nearly turned deadly after he swallowed a pair of toddler sized jeans…whole!
  • Kismet the Jack Russell terrier (Salt Lake City, Utah). Kismet’s bravery saved his owner’s life when the tiny terrier intervened during a violent home invasion that left both he and his owner critically injured and thankful to be alive.
  • Lily the Border collie (St. Paul, Minn.). Lily’s longtime hatred of the vacuum cleaner boiled over into an appliance ambush that landed her in the veterinary emergency room with severe mouth injuries after she got her mouth caught inside the suction tool.
  • Ludmila the Tibetan terrier (Pittsburgh, Pa.). Ludmila’s incredible curiosity got the best of her when she managed to get her head stuck in a solid oak coffee table so snug that not even the fire department could get her out.

Originally named after a dog who ate an entire Thanksgiving ham while stuck in a refrigerator, the annual Hambone Award has since been given to the most bizarre medical claim each year since 2009. Past winners include: Curtis, a Boxer who swallowed a barbeque skewer that disappeared in his body and nearly ended his life a year later; Charlie, a Labrador retriever who became entangled with a tractor; Ellie, a Labrador retriever who gobbled up an entire beehive and its thousands of inhabitants; Lulu, a hungry bulldog who swallowed 15 baby pacifiers, a bottle cap and a piece of a basketball; Harley, a pug who ate and subsequently passed more than 100 rocks; Peanut, a dachshund-terrier mix who survived a fierce squabble with a skunk; and Winnie, a mixed-breed dog who swallowed two pounds of uncooked onion rings.

Nationwide

Nationwide® pet insurance

Take care of them when it matters most.

Start Your Research